Contributors

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

It's grim up North London...

Had the opportunity to cycle around North London this weekend so of course I took it.  Having been dropped off at Cockfosters, went through Hadley Common, past the fishing lake with instructions on how to get a fishing licence in many languages. Down into East Barnet for a coffee and then along Dollis Brook to Totteridge and Whetstone crossing over to Pymmes Brook. These were great bike routes through the parks but nothing to link them other than some yellow lines on the London Cycle Map. Every crossing of a main road seemed difficult for a cyclist and with no bike route signs on the back streets you were left to find your own way.

At Southgate, I made my way over the North Circular with some difficulty and found a route to Muswell Hill  - my only previous acquaintance being via the Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies.It was certainly a climb on the Brompton and I was pleased to be on the downhill through Highgate and Archway. I found this main road to be OK for cycling with wide bus lanes the only pinch points being where there were road works.

Getting down to the horrible mess that is Highbury Corner was a little different though and  I was reminded of classic London rudeness when as I negotiated my way into the cashpoint queue a young woman just stepped in front of me. It's every man and woman for yourself up North London and you have to like the sound of your own voice.

Passing through hipster-land I made it down to the Hertford Union canal - this was a great bike route back in the '80s when it had just been paved, but now with all the new developments in the area there are too many pedestrians and it is no longer viable

I let Google Maps guide me in to the Directory of Social Change where LCC was holding it's AGM and Campaigner's Conference. As a non-member I didn't go to the AGM and I thought it would be more instructive to see what cycling  conditions were like in the boroughs for myself, but I gather a lot of business had been covered including a controversial motion suggesting that the expansion in the number of buses in London was no longer helpful to cycling.

I attended a couple of workshops on forming a campaign strategy and one on taking your bike on public transport. What was more exciting though was the campaginer awards, and in particular the effort that has been made to persuade businesses in London to support the "Crossrail for bikes" proposals. This has the potential to transform cycling in central London but is meeting resistance from a handful of old men in limos who are anonymously briefing against it, but represent the vested interests of Canary Wharf and the Corporation of London. Through a massive leafletting campaign they had got workers to put pressure on their employers to support the proposals with much success. Since then we've learnt that an executive from Canary Wharf is set to chair the committee that will decide whether the bike routes will be built - an appalling situation.

Mark Ames' presentation on campaigning with social media is well worth watching:- 



I left the LCC who were off to celebrate their achievement in a nearby pub and set off to meet by brother at the Market Porter at Kings Cross before setting off to see Albert Lee & Hogans Heroes in the Islington (there's a clue in the name where that is) Despite being throughly ripped off for mediocre Brooklyn lager and having to ask members of the audience to stop talking so we could enjoy the music, a great gig and I would recommend seeing him if you get the chance, if you're a fan of that country-rock style.

On Sunday I was able to take the Stealth Bomber for a ride around the lanes on the Herts and Essex border, circumnavigating Stansted Airport - about 45 miles - before heading back to the real grim North, with a fantastic sunset as I arrived back in Sheffield.






No comments:

Blog Archive